ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
A new college in Edmonton, Canada is looking to build its business engagement regionally, nationally and internationally through workforce development and skills training, knowledge exchange and transfer, research, innovation and development. The Business Development Manager will work across all areas within the College and lead our developments in third stream income generation through academic enterprise, research and knowledge exchange with Canada and particularly in Francophone-West Africa Markets comprising of (Senegal, Mali Guinea, Mauritania, Cote d’Ivoire Burkina Faso, Togo Benin and Niger).
Working with academic and technical staff, in collaboration with College business partners and other professional service staff, the College Business Development Manager will be critical to the achievement of the College’s business plan.
The College Business Development Manager will be responsible for identifying, developing and implementing new business opportunities across the College. Such opportunities may include, but not limited to, educational programmes for workforce development in sectors relevant to the College; tendering for commissioned research, interventions and/or evaluations; knowledge transfer and exchange partnerships; commissioned research projects; commercialisation of resources, equipment and/or knowledge capital. This is the time for the College to diversify its activity and capitalise on its expertise and innovation.
The Business Development Manager will be joining a new organization with highly motivated, focused and passionate team and will be central to the College achieving its key objectives.
Canada, Senegal & Cote d’Ivoire.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Working in partnership with the Deputy Registrar & Vice President, Business Development and with the relevant Faculties and Support Department(s) to identify training and development opportunities, build markets in Canada and Francophone-West Africa, drive new income generation through direct client liaison activities, market intelligence, product and/or service design and development, creation and submission of tenders and bids for work.
Manage the complete client sales cycle, able to lead when necessary in terms of presentations to clients and internal groups, pulling together bid teams, developing a deep understanding of client needs through a consultative approach and designing credible solutions which meet clients’ needs, working with academic colleagues and external partners.
- Counsel students regarding educational, career or vocational issues.
- Refer students to other specialized services when required.
- Participate in staff meetings, educational conferences and workshops.
- Visit colleges and secondary schools to provide academic information to prospective students, their parents and educational institutions.
- Prepare and deliver presentations at conferences, workshops and symposia.
- Assist in product development and direct and evaluate the marketing strategies of establishments.
- Direct and evaluate establishments and departments that publicize activities and events on behalf of businesses, governments and other organizations.
- Initiate market research studies and analyze their findings.
- Direct and evaluate establishments and departments that maintain media relations on behalf of businesses, governments and other organizations.
- Manage contracts, Direct and evaluate establishments and departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the design, development and maintenance of Internet and Intranet sites to manage an organization’s Internet presence.
- Plan, direct and evaluate the activities of firms and departments that develop and implement advertising campaigns to promote the sales of products and services.
- Identify and establish potential partnerships in Francophone-West Africa (Senegal, Mali Guinea, Mauritania, Cote d’Ivoire Burkina Faso, Togo Benin and Niger) markets.
- Identify opportunities to exploit the College’s academic endeavours to create new income streams.
- Actively engage with academics and technicians from across the College to fully understand the capabilities and knowledge capital.
- Engage externally with relevant sectors, industries and businesses in West Africa and Canada with a view to exploit the capabilities of the College.
- Generate new income streams through commercialisation of knowledge capital, facilities and/or research and development projects.
- Influence others and secure buy-in and commitment from staff across the College to deliver on projects and opportunities with external businesses and companies.
- Support academic staff to build their confidence and skills in business engagement as well as their awareness and understanding of key industrial strategies that affect the City, County and region.
- Brief the College management team on key priorities in international, national and regional strategies and advise on how the College should position itself for the future.
- Write business plans including financial budget delivery plans allied to third stream income generation.
- Update the College Leadership Team regularly on secured business and achievements of milestones and deliverables, developments in progress and opportunities being scoped through the College’s internal quarterly business reviews as well as periodically through College Management Board with members of the University’s Executive, College Business Partners and the Vice Chancellors office.
- Engage with business development managers, or equivalents, in other Colleges and work collegiately to assure the college achieves its targets and realises identified opportunities.
- Engage with the College’s Industrial Gateway Team to assure the College is informed of developments centrally.
- Represent the College externally at key events within the region, nationally and international.
- Undertake relevant CPD to assure continual effectiveness and currency in business development within the Higher Education sector in a way that directly benefits the College.
- Undertake research and market analysis, including client profiling, sourcing trend setters and high growth potential business opportunities and contacts.
- Prepare and present fully costed commercial proposals to clients, negotiating contracts to ensure each one generates the required financial return.
- Monitor and record activity on accounts to help close negotiations and meet targets.
PERSON SPECIFICATION, ESSENTIAL CRITERIA & QUALIFICATIONS
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a field relevant to the College Experience.
- Experience in developing and delivering business plans including financial planning and reporting.
- Experience in identifying market opportunities and undertaking market insight evaluations to assure the feasibility and viability of identified opportunities.
- Experience of developing “new” business opportunities through enterprise, commercial and/or knowledge exchanges.
- Experience in building sustainable relationships with external groups, clients and companies and the ability to up-sell opportunities.
- Experience of start-up companies, spin outs and/or joint ventures.
- In-depth understanding of the West African (Senegal, Mali Guinea, Mauritania, Cote d’Ivoire Burkina Faso, Togo Benin and Niger) higher education sector and the need for Universities/Colleges to diversify their activity and income streams.
- Writing contracts, heads of terms and/or memorandum of understanding.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Very good understanding of international student admission process
- Good understanding of Canadian Admission and Immigration system and process
- In-depth knowledge and familiarity of the West African Schooling Systems, laws and Governing policies.
- Strong communication skills in all formats. Fluent in French and English
- The ability to develop sustainable networks and productive relationships with external clients that result in new business for the College.
- The ability to influence and deliver through others.
- Knowledge of business development, tendering and identification of funding opportunities that aligns to the activity of the College.
- Ability to be self-motivated as well as work as part of a team.
- Able to work to deadlines.
- Ability to identify opportunities for the College through understanding external business needs and the requirements of sectors relevant to the College.
- Experience in project management, financial planning and reporting, and evaluation of cost-benefits and returns on investment.
- Ability to travel frequently within Canada and particularly West Africa which may involve evening and/or weekends.
- Travel Time: Estimated 40%
APPLY To apply, send a cover letter and your resume to us at firstname.lastname@example.org